Starting December 1st, 2019.
Join us as we live our lives:
Present with God
Present with Others
We are inviting you to join us. The more people who commit to live this way of life together the more wholistic and faithful this will become. There is a lot we do not yet know about how Urban Monasticism will look in practice.
Formally we are starting with Advent in 2019, and continuing through Ascension 2021. Following the liturgical calendar in this way will allow us to learn and adapt from our first trip through non-ordinary time, and then implement our learnings as we go through the 2020/2021 season the second time. If you are interested please reach out to us. Some of us have already started, but it is helpful to have a formal fixed start date for us as a community.
For those joining us as a Monastic or a Practitioner we ask that as a base you commit to the following time. For those who are willing to contribute to developing this further, that would take seperate time.
- Praying the Hours: 10-20 minutes, twice a day (morning and evening)
- Fasting all food one day a week (Sleep to Sleep)
- Practicing Communion
Goals for the Pilot
There are a number of things that we hope to accomplish during this pilot. This list may adapt based on what we learn and how we grow through this time together.
- Clarify and solidify our Commitment/Rule.
- Develop and practice our monastic lifestyle in our cities around the world in a number of vocations.
- With a focus on living a life of grace, and experiencing the presence of God and others.
- Focus on our daily and weekly rhythms and practices.
- Developing our out-of-rhythm practices (done locally).
- Develop our Practice of the Hours
- Including Lauds and Vespers (maybe some others as well).
- Publish on our website in some capacity.
- Publish in a web app through our Scriptorium.
- At least available in English, with portions available in French and other languages.
- Possibly work with other organizations and institutions to publish and support their hours.
- Develop some musical aspects for parts of the prayers.
- Possibly create audio of each hour to pray along with to increase the sense of community.
- Develop our practice of fasting (regular and special)
- Develop our home green spaces, and integrate it into our practices.
- Develop our scriptorium application and start using it.
- This is an online repository of texts, with the ability to manually translate them for different purposes
- This tool will allow us to develop our Hours in a modular approach.
- Will allow us to publish historic works with modern translations written by our community.
- Would be built for use of our community, but could extend the audience.
- Publish a book/film/resources with our learnings on how to integrate these practices into our lives.
Timeline for the Pilot
Announcing our Pilot
Extending the invitation for people to join us. Looking forward to you joining us!
Pilot Starts with Advent
The first day of Advent when we formally start! Even if this date has passed we’re are excited have you join us.
After Christmas and Easter we have made it to ordinary time. Leading up to next Advent we will focus on refining what we’ve learned and practiced.
Starting up our second year. We are hoping to have more of our own prayers and liturical practices developed.
Holy week and easter coming together as we get closer to the conclusion of the pilot.
Pilot Wraps Up
Celebrating the conclusion of the pilot at the return to ordinary time. This means it is time for reflection on what has happened. Do we keep going? If so, how?
After the pilot is finished we want to get together for a retreat. It will allow us to do our practices together, reflect, and celebrate. This will most likely take place in western Europe.
How to be Engaged
There are a number of different ways you can be involved. They are outlined below. We invite you to be a Monastic or a Practitioner as well as a contributor.
As a Monastic
Our hope is to have a comunity of individuals whom are actively living out our shared commitment.
As a Practitioner
There will be people who want to join with us in our practices without actively living out the whole of the shared commitment.
As a Contributor
Throughout the life of Urban Monastics there will be needs that exist beyond our way of life. A contributor helps us create and realize these needs. Often there are projects we are working on which you could help us with.
There may be more opporuntiies, but as of now this is what is on the horizion for us.
- Musicians to help create music for our prayers
- Artists to create visuals to go with our practices and prayers
- Software Engineers to help us develop our infastructure, tools, and apps.
- Scholars who are willing to help translate texts for us (once the scriptorium is live)
- Financial Donors to help with costs as we explore the possible futures for Urban Monasticism.