Started December 1st, 2019.
Join us as we live our lives:
Present with God
Present with Others
We are inviting you to join us. The more people who commit to live this way of life together the more wholistic and faithful this will become. There is a lot we do not yet know about how Urban Monasticism will look in practice.
The pilot began with Advent in 2019, and will continue through Ascension 2021. Following the liturgical calendar in this way will allow us to learn and adapt from our first trip through non-ordinary time, and then implement our learnings as we go through the 2020/2021 season the second time. If you are interested please reach out to us. Some of us have already started, but it is helpful to have a formal fixed start date for us as a community.
Goals for the Pilot
There are a number of things that we hope to accomplish during this pilot. This list may adapt based on what we learn and how we grow through this time together.
- Clarify and solidify our Commitment/Rule.
- Develop and practice our monastic lifestyle in our cities around the world in a number of vocations.
- With a focus on living a life of grace, and experiencing the presence of God and others.
- Focus on our daily and weekly rhythms and practices.
- Developing our out-of-rhythm practices (done locally).
- Develop our Practice of the Hours
- Including at least Lauds, Vespers, and Compline.
- Publish online in some capacity.
- Create a monastic platform to support our liturgical calendar, breviary, scriptorium, and other practices.
- Start the translation process for an English Breviary, with portions available in French and other languages.
- Explore colaborating with other organizations and institutions to publish and support their hours.
- Explore developing musical aspects for parts of the prayers.
- Possibly create audio of each hour to pray along with to increase the sense of community.
- Develop our practice of Communion.
- Develop our practice of fasting (regular and special)
- Develop our home green spaces, and integrate it into our practices.
- Develop our scriptorium application and start using it.
- This is an online repository of texts, with the ability to manually translate them for different purposes
- This tool will allow us to develop our Hours in a modular approach.
- Will allow us to publish historic works with modern translations written by our community.
- Would be built for use of our community, but could extend the audience.
- Publish a book/film/resources with our learnings on how to integrate these practices into our lives.
Timeline for the Pilot
Announcing our Pilot
Extending the invitation for people to join us. Looking forward to you joining us!
Pilot Starts with Advent
The first day of Advent when we formally start! Even if this date has passed we’re are excited have you join us.
After Christmas and Easter we have made it to ordinary time. Leading up to next Advent we will focus on refining what we’ve learned and practiced.
Starting up our second year. We are hoping to have more of our own prayers and liturical practices developed.
Holy week and easter coming together as we get closer to the conclusion of the pilot.
Pilot Wraps Up
Celebrating the conclusion of the pilot at the return to ordinary time. This means it is time for reflection on what has happened. Do we keep going? If so, how?
After the pilot is finished we want to get together for a retreat. It will allow us to do our practices together, reflect, and celebrate. This will most likely take place in western Europe.